Thursday, May 14, 2009

Catching Up

So, I fail at this whole blog thing. I´m over a week behind. so i´m going to go by country and city and give some high lights for each. Here it goes:

Spain
Barcelona May 2nd-4th
- Went for a walk around the city and ended up going the wrong way, such a blond sometimes. ANYWAYS. once I got to the Majoric (sp?) I was wandering around again aimlessly. I was able to see the stadium from the Olympics and eventually found the tram that gave a panoramic view of Barcelona and then made it to the castle.
- Next day was Gaudi day. I first went to the park and wandered around. May have gone in a restricted area cuz i didnt see many people and the fencing should have been my first clue, but it was pretty cool. After that I went to the Sangrada Familia. It was so beautiful. I waited over an hour to ride the elevator to the top and got some good views and was able to see the progress they are making on building it. It supposedly should be finished in 20 years or so.
- after that I walked down Las Ramblas and read Jane Austen at the beach.

France
Marseille May 4th-6th
- Pretty cool place. After I checked in I went down to the port area. When it started getting dark I booked it back to the room cuz Marseille is not the safest city.
- My only full day of touristyness started off with a trip to the Chateau dÍf, important setting from The Count of Monte Cristo, the book. It was pretty cool and I was being such a nerd :-)
- After some lunch and reading I went to the Notre Dame and there were amazing views. On the way there I was accosted by some woman who was going off in French and following me a little and poking my shoulder. Maybe I was sunburned? I don't know, but I was even more on my guard after that.

Italy
Cinque Terre May 6th-8th
- Prob one of my fav places on earth. It is so beautiful. My time here consisted of relaxing, going on a really easy walk along the main trail overlooking the Med. and drinking good wine and reading at the beach.

Milan May 8th-9th
- Prob one of my least fav places. The hostel wasnt the greatest and the directions were crap. The main plaza and the Duomo was pretty, but I can only take so many churches. It was nice to be in Italy again, felt familiar from my previous travels.

Switzerland
Geneva May 9th-11th
- First day I was here I went to the UN and had a tour of the building and saw the place originally built for the League of Nations, but wasnt really used since by the time it was finished it was a shell of its former self. Anyways, that was nice
- The next day I went to church at_____, where Calvin preached for a few decades. The service was in French, so I didn't understand a thing. and trying to sing in it was worse. Im glad there wasn't anyone near me. I prob looked like I knew what was being said. After I wandered around and watched the marathon or half-marathon (never found out) I went back to the church for the archaeological site beneath. It was really well presented and they even kept the grave of an important man who they believe Geneva was built around a few thousand years ago. Then I spent 30 min. wandering around in the wrong direction (pattern should be emerging) trying to look for the Palais de Wilson, the first place where the League of Nations met. I think I found it, but who knows.

Interlaken May 11th-13th
- As I was taking the train I was in awe of the Alps. Interlaken is in between two lakes and at the base/valley of the Alps. AMAZING. I just wandered around the small city, watched Amistad at the Hostel and booked a bungee jump
- The next day I went up to the top of a mountain/hill and got some great views and pictures of the valley and mountains. Then it was bungee time. I was fine watching other people go and right up until I stepped up to the edge. I thought I was going to faint. Eventually I went and I was terrified and I don't think I will be doing it ever again in the near future.

So there are a few highlights. I'm almost halfway done, which is weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment